Strengthen your talent today with bio-economy specific essential skills
Successful workplaces require talent with strong essential skills. Knowing how to apply these skills in the bio-economy can create even stronger teams for organizational success.
Essential Skills provide
- Foundational skills for learning higher order concepts, technical and occupation-specific skills
- Transferable skills that can be used for different jobs throughout a career
- Support to make it easier to adapt to change
BioTalent Canada’s NEW Essential Skills for the Bio-economy Training Program will offer new talent professional development and will enhance an employer’s onboarding program. They are Canadian built and will be available in English and French.
The program will include a brief online introduction, four self-paced one-hour online courses and an in-person one day course to:
- Introduce each essential skill and show why it is important in the bio-economy
- Introduce strategies to help develop the skill
- Provide opportunities for practice
- Give learners the opportunity to understand their progress through a pre- and post-assessment of each course.
An introduction to the bio-economy in Canada, its various sectors and sub-sectors, sets the stage for the specific essential skills courses.
Defines and puts into practice key terms such as skimming and scanning, identifies essential reading skills and reviews important reading strategies.
Reviews and puts into practice important writing skills such as preparation, plain writing, formatting, writing for the job, editing and revising.
Reviews metric numbering and conversions, using and converting fractions and percentages, simple equations and calculating concentrations and dilutions.
Reviews and puts into practice common documents encountered frequently on the job such as lists, tables, entry forms, charts, graphs, and flowcharts.