Zymeworks is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company dedicated to the discovery, development and commercialization of next-generation bispecific and multifunctional biotherapeutics, initially focused on the treatment of cancer. Zymeworks’ suite of complementary therapeutic platforms and its fully-integrated drug development engine provide the flexibility and compatibility to precisely engineer and develop highly-differentiated product candidates.
Zymeworks is seeking a highly motivated professional who is looking to grow their career with our company.
This position will report to the Manager, Finance and will be based in Seattle, WA.
- Prepares and processes semi-monthly U.S. payroll and ensures compliance with all federal, state, and local regulations.
- Responsible for payroll tax activities and research laws and regulations regarding taxes and payroll withholding procedures
- Ability to interpret, communicate, and execute changes to payroll system as needed. Stays current on changing payroll/tax legislation, while keeping the Finance team informed.
- Oversees with payroll registration and setup for new states and locations, as required.
- Collaborates with The People Team to ensure proper maintenance and flow of employee data including preparation and distribution of detailed reports.
- Manages Workers Compensation remittances for all states and applies for insurance in new states, as required.
- Responds to inquiries from employees regarding payroll and tax-related issues in a prompt, courteous, and efficient manner.
- Identifies and implements payroll process improvements that will scale with corporate growth.
- Develops and implements policies and procedures and advocates continuous process improvement.
- Assists in the resolution of complex and escalated payroll issues and situations and in making the final determination on these issues.
- Creates training documents and delivers presentations to employees on new payroll initiatives.
- Supports management with special ad-hoc projects as required and acts as backup for the Senior Payroll Administrator.
- Actively works to foster an environment of effective and collaborative working relationships amongst employees, management and external partners.
- Demonstrates strong judgement in selecting methods and techniques and identifying solutions.
- Communicates with external parties (ie. IRS, State/Local tax authorities, and American Payroll Association)
- Performs monthly payroll close duties, including the preparation of period-end accruals and monthly journal entries for all payroll and benefit accounts and preparation of reconciliations.
- Processes accurate and timely quarterly and year-end reporting (W-2, W-2C, Form 3922, Form 3921, 1099, 941’s, 940’s, etc.).
- Assists finance team and internal and external auditors with quarterly reviews, year-end audits, and Sarbanes-Oxley (“SOX”) audits of procedures and controls as needed.
Education and Experience:
- A University degree (or equivalent) and Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) certification
- Minimum 7 years of progressive payroll experience at a high growth organization
- Minimum 3 years experience in multi-state and local site payroll processing
- Minimum of 1 year of multi-site or international payroll experience
- Comprehensive understanding of payroll best practices and Federal and State regulations
- Knowledge of US GAAP and SOX controls
- Experience In biotech or pharmaceuticals industry is an asset
Skills and Abilities:
- Self-starter who regularly takes initiative and can juggle multiple projects simultaneously
- Proven interpersonal skills with the ability to collaborate as a member of a cross-functional team and ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to work effectively in a high-paced, deadline-driven environment. Results-driven.
- Strong documentation abilities and understands ‘reperformance’ standard.
- Proficient in payroll system applications and the ability to develop and general reports as required (i.e. Paylocity, ADP WFN, etc.)
- Detailed knowledge and understanding of proper taxation of earning and deduction types (i.e. stock options, employee stock purchase plan, restricted stock units, fringe benefits, housing relocation, supplemental income, bonuses, etc.).
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills; must have the ability to work independently by using effective judgment to resolve Issues and make decisions.
- Excellent problem-solving skills, incorporating integrity in all decision making.
- Ability to exercise tact and discretion in dealing with sensitive and confidential information.
- Strong MS Office skills, including advanced Excel skills (i.e. V-look ups, PivotTables, etc.).
Why Work for Us?
Innovation. Act with Integrity. Collaboration. Embrace Diversity. Care
We come from many countries, cultures, races, ethnicities, abilities, and nationalities. We bring our passions including singing, biking, swimming, dancing, cooking, volunteering, parenting, coaching and much more! We are proud of our nearly equal balance of men and women and strengthened by our non-binary and transgender team members. Every employee belongs.
We offer challenging career opportunities, competitive benefits and an environment that recognizes and rewards performance.
How to Apply
If you are interested in this challenging opportunity, please apply online at https://jobs.jobvite.com/zymeworkscareers/job/oEWaffwJ. Due to the high volume of applicants, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
NOTE TO EMPLOYMENT AGENCIES: Zymeworks values our relationships with our Recruitment Partners. We will only accept resumes from those partners whom have been contracted by a member of our Human Resources team to collaborate with us. Zymeworks is not responsible for any fees related to resumes that are unsolicited or are received without contract.Apply Now