Job Description Summary
The Senior Mechanical Engineer leads the design and development of mechanical and electro-mechanical sub-systems of our lab automation instrumentation and disposable products through to transfer to manufacturing in compliance with ISO 13485. In addition, this position is integral in driving the development, design, and continuous improvement of existing processes, techniques and STEMCELL instruments.
This is an exciting opportunity to deliver advanced lab automation instruments to STEMCELL’s new and existing customers. You will be part of a dynamic, cross-functional product development team responsible for designing, building, testing and launching our products on the global stage. If you are a creative, knowledgeable and self-motivated mechanical engineer who thrives in a collaborative environment and wants to develop cutting edge new technology, we want to hear from you.
- Responsible for the mechanical design, development and testing of new lab automation instruments, sub-systems and disposables using 3D CAD, including the selection of key components (such as motors, sensors, actuators and the like) and the sourcing of parts and services with Procurement.
- Leads in-house prototype builds for new lab automation products, during which system integration challenges are resolved, performance is enhanced and areas for future improvement are identified. Plays a hands-on role during such prototype builds.
- Participates in performance testing as part of a cross-functional team of engineers and scientists, in order to identify and mitigate potential risks early in product development.
- Analyses and solves complex problems, drives design reviews that affect the product life cycle such as manufacturing, service, regulations, troubleshooting, upgrades and backwards compatibility, competing technology and obsolescence.
- Drafts specifications, requirements and design documentation for design history records and technology transfers according to company and QMS standards, including applicable regulatory compliance.
- Proposes annual departmental objectives and projects as part of strategic planning; recommends improvements to policies and procedures of the business unit. Contributes to defining the work programme and technical activities schedule for projects. Actively participates in brainstorming and review sessions.
- Provides feedback and mentorship to staff.
- A bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering in an appropriate field with 10+ years of relevant experience, or a master’s degree in Engineering with 8+ years of relevant experience.
- Demonstrated knowledge of a wide range of mechanical prototyping, fabrication and finishing techniques for metals, plastics and non-metals. Proven practical skills in manual prototyping and / or CNC machining are a distinct asset.
- Demonstrated skills in designing, building and testing electromechanical systems are an asset, including the construction of wiring.
- Experience with lab automation in general, and robotics and automated liquid handlers in particular, is an asset.
- Extensive experience with diverse technologies and design approaches, including standard industry best practices, 3D CAD, PLM applications and version control of software and/or hardware design.
- Experience in leading projects and managing third party contractors in the design and supply of automation systems is a distinct asset.
- Practical experience performing risk assessments and FMEAs.
- Experience developing multiple products from requirements analysis through prototyping to manufacture and support.
- Experience designing for low to mid-level production volumes.
- Excellent communication (oral, written, presenter) and interpersonal skills with the ability to work effectively in a team and with cross functional teams.
- Team oriented yet self-motivated.
- Highly organized with strong attention to detail and accuracy.
- Demonstrated project management and project planning experience in a time-driven environment, including budgets, resources and change management.
- Experience in design and written procedures consistent with ISO 13485 is an asset.
- Experience in certifying instruments to UL / IEC standards is an asset, including electromagnetic compliance (EMC) testing.
- Familiarity with regulatory compliance of product development and maintenance, including diagnostic and pre- / clinical applications, is an asset.
STEMCELL Technologies Inc. is a privately-owned biotechnology company based in Vancouver that helps power leading-edge life science research around the world. Scientists performing stem cell, immunology, cancer, regenerative medicine and cellular therapy research are among those who rely on our cell culture media, cell separation products, instruments, ancillary reagents and contract assay services. We create novel, useful, standardized products of unfailing quality and deliver them to more than 70 countries via our many regional offices plus distribution centres in Vancouver, Seattle, Grenoble and Singapore. Driven by our love of science and our passion for quality, we see ourselves simply as “Scientists Helping Scientists” – standing by our customers to provide outstanding products, technical support and training. We have over 1000 science-oriented employees globally, including 250 PhDs/MScs, with most others holding a BSc or engineering degree. STEMCELL is proud to be the largest Biotechnology employer in Canada.
This is an opportunity to work with highly motivated colleagues in a science-oriented, creative and dynamic environment. We offer a competitive salary, excellent benefits and significant career development opportunities.
To apply please select the apply button. You will then be directed to a login screen asking you to set up an account. You must set up an account in order to apply.
Create an account by selecting the create account button. You will then be asked for your email and to create a password. Your Password must be eight characters long, contain at least one special character, one capital letter, and a number.Once you have created your password you will be asked to upload your resume. Uploading your resume will provide the ability to auto-populate your application with information from your resume. If you prefer to manually complete all of the fields in the application you can do this by clicking next. You can upload your cover letter as an attachment in the attachments screen. Thank you for your interest in STEMCELL!Apply Now