Job Description Summary
The Senior Manager, Cost Accounting in the Finance department at STEMCELL is responsible for setting policy, implementation, analytics, as well as management reporting and review for all aspects of costs, cost of goods, and cost of selling in the income statement between Revenue and Gross Margin for STEMCELL business activities. Responsibilities include cost accounting activities, reconciliation and reporting (monthly, quarterly, annually), in collaboration with the global Finance team. This role provides leadership and mentoring to the Finance team either through projects, initiatives and/or ongoing operational finance support to the business.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide vision, leadership and governance for cost accounting and margin analysis globally.
- Responsible for overall accuracy of standard costs and engineering masters (bill of materials; BOMs), reconciliation, review and analysis for management review of all variable costs to a gross margin level for regional and legal entity financial statements (Income Statement, Balance Sheet & Cash Flow Statements).
- Responsible for analytics on all costs between Revenue and Gross Margin on the income statement including but not limited to Cost of Goods Sold (materials and labour), Burden, Variances, Royalties, Shipping, and Discounting.
- Ensure global operational processes and transactional activities encompasses both sound business and financial sense (includes marketing promotions, work orders and engineering masters).
- Monitor, measure and refine KPIs, metrics and operational performance on variable costs.
- Improve and remain accountable for operations expense management infrastructure, process and information integrity ultimately providing metric and visibility on variable cost productivity within the Operations Group.
- Accountable for ensuring inventory costs are set and maintained accurately.
- Develop and manage annual budget, forecast and reporting of costs for Operations Group (Supply Chain and Manufacturing) that ultimately has the biggest impact on variable cost of operations.
- Lead and collaborate on cost management and optimization projects.
- Provide leadership and take accountability for implementation of workflow and automation (as appropriate) of financial systems and processes.
- Train and develop Cost Accounting team to focus on financial excellence and promote within STEMCELL’s operating departments.
Skills & Qualifications
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in Commerce, Business Administration or related field.
- Minimum 10 years of financial management experience, preferably in Cost Accounting in a manufacturing or similar industrial environment; biotechnology or pharmaceutical industry experience is an asset.
- Professional designation (CPA, CMA) is required.
- Business and financial acumen; willingness to have an impact on the business beyond the disciplines of corporate services and finance.
- Ability to work across reporting lines and across geographies to advance strategic direction of the business.
- Demonstrated experience in a leadership capacity of a function or team.
- Experience working with an ERP system and hands-on experience with accounting software packages; experience with ERP implementation is an asset.
- Thorough understanding of standard cost accounting principles and cost systems background.
- Advanced proficiency using MS Office, specifically Excel including use of pivot tables.
- Structured, disciplined and organized; a systems thinker with demonstrated process improvement skills; proven analytical / quantitative skills are required.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills (written and oral); communicates in a clear, concise and organized manner; listens to others to obtain information.
- Proven experience building strong relationships with senior management, external providers, business partners etc.
- Experience working in a high volume and fast paced environment with overlapping priorities and deliverables.
STEMCELL Technologies Inc. is a privately-owned biotechnology company based in Vancouver that helps power leading-edge life science research around the world. Scientists performing stem cell, immunology, cancer, regenerative medicine and cellular therapy research are among those who rely on our cell culture media, cell separation products, instruments, ancillary reagents and contract assay services. We create novel, useful, standardized products of unfailing quality and deliver them to more than 70 countries via our many regional offices plus distribution centres in Vancouver, Seattle, Grenoble and Singapore. Driven by our love of science and our passion for quality, we see ourselves simply as “Scientists Helping Scientists” – standing by our customers to provide outstanding products, technical support and training. We have over 1000 science-oriented employees globally, including 250 PhDs/MScs, with most others holding a BSc or engineering degree. STEMCELL is proud to be the largest Biotechnology employer in Canada.
This is an opportunity to work with highly motivated colleagues in a science-oriented, creative and dynamic environment. We offer a competitive salary, excellent benefits and significant career development opportunities.
To apply please select the apply button. You will then be directed to a login screen asking you to set up an account. You must set up an account in order to apply.
Create an account by selecting the create account button. You will then be asked for your email and to create a password. Your Password must be eight characters long, contain at least one special character, one capital letter, and a number.Once you have created your password you will be asked to upload your resume. Uploading your resume will provide the ability to auto-populate your application with information from your resume. If you prefer to manually complete all of the fields in the application you can do this by clicking next. You can upload your cover letter as an attachment in the attachments screen. Thank you for your interest in STEMCELL!Apply Now