Sanofi Pasteur, the vaccines division of Sanofi, is the largest company in the world devoted entirely to human vaccines. Our driving goal is to protect people from infectious diseases by creating safe and effective vaccines. Our company distributes more than 1 billion doses of vaccine each year, making it possible to vaccinate more than 500 million people across the globe. Sanofi Pasteur offers the broadest range of vaccines in the world, providing protection against 20 bacterial and viral diseases.
Sanofi is dedicated to supporting people through their health challenges. We are a global biopharmaceutical company focused on human health. We prevent illness with vaccines, provide innovative treatments to fight pain and ease suffering. We stand by the few who suffer from rare diseases and the millions with long-term chronic conditions. With more than 100,000 people in 100 countries, Sanofi is transforming scientific innovation into healthcare solutions around the globe.
Summary of Purpose:
The incumbent executes process engineering activities for strategic capital projects within the Toronto Engineering & Technical Services Organization. This position is required to manage development, concept, design and fabrication, commissioning and qualification of process and utility skids, interconnecting field piping in construction as well as a GMP environment. This position will be responsible for interfacing with different trades (architecture/building, mechanical, electrical, automation) to ensure the correct installation of process equipment, utilities equipment and field piping where adhering to established regulatory compliance requirements. The incumbent is also responsible for developing appropriate solutions to satisfy the needs of internal customers in accordance with company guidelines and procedures, and within budget and schedule commitments. The incumbent is accountable for acting and involved in producing designs and then implementing the designs (commissioning and qualification post installation) according to SPL best practices.
- Interpreting process and manufacturing requirements developed during design phase.
- Interpret process flow diagrams, piping and instrumentation diagrams, mass balances, process descriptions, and functional specifications to ensure proper installation of systems and piping in the field. Determine if there are gaps in the design and troubleshoot equipment and piping in the field. Responsible for understanding the process and utility requirements to ensure proper installation, commissioning and qualification.
- Perform appropriate reviews with stakeholders. Make sure engineering contractor calculations are correct and review vendor designs for adherence to specification and best practice guidelines. Participate in peer reviews. Responsible for design that meets project budget and schedule.
- Construction and GMP Environment Field Work
- Responsible for leading and working with various trades to complete installation and commissioning activities for process and utility systems to ensure they are designed and installed per design requirements. This would involve interpreting piping isometrics and P&IDs to ensure proper slopes while avoiding interferences for all field installed piping, valving and equipment. Responsible for proper installation of skidded and non-skidded equipment and their required connections (electrical and piping) while diligently adhering to SPL’s safe practices.
- Lead commissioning and qualification effort as required. Lead C&Q execution for accountable systems. Participate in SLA and FCCA. Review C&Q test plans for technical content. Support mechanical completion and start-up. Participate FAT, SAT and Critical Test plan execution.
- Support other site activities as required.
HSE Requirement and Statement:
- Supervises and monitors compliance with employment and health and safety legislation to ensure that employees work within the policies, procedures and regulations applicable to their work.
- Participates in the investigation of incidents and work-related illnesses.
- Responds promptly to all health and safety concerns or incidents and completes the appropriate documentation in a timely manner.
- Takes every reasonable precaution to ensure the health and safety of staff.
- Ensures that protective equipment and clothing required is used by staff.
- Cooperates and assists the Joint Health and Safety Committee in carrying out its functions.
- Advises staff of any potential or actual health and safety hazard of which they are aware.
Context of the Job:
- Ability to work in a collaborative shared space (Obeya) in a large and complex project environment where quick critical thinking and decision making is required.
- Technical aptitude/understanding across a broad number of subjects including vaccine processes and equipment, Process and Utility systems, building and equipment maintenance.
- Ability to lead, engage and work with a spectrum of roles within the organization. This includes unionized trades, salaried managers, technical services support functions, quality, production and supporting functions.
Dimensions and Scope:
- Financial dimensions: Potential impact on project budget
- Human Resources dimensions: dotted line salaried employees and contractor management
- Statistical dimensions: NA
- Health & Safety dimensions: Oversight of safety compliance of process equipment
Education and Experience:
- B.Eng., M.Eng., and P.Eng. or P.Eng. eligible
- 5+ years experience in applied process design engineering and project experience are required. Additional experience in construction/installation, equipment start-up, qualification and/or validation is required.
- Working knowledge of process upstream/downstream equipment
- Working knowledge of PLC’s and automation in DCS platform is considered a valuable asset.
- Working knowledge of unit operations typically used in biotech and vaccine manufacturing such as bulk manufacturing, downstream operations, formulation, steaming (SIP) and cleaning (CIP)
- Must understand the relationship between Good Manufacturing Practices, industry standards and their application to the manufacturing process.
- Ability to effectively communicate with internal and external team members is essential.
- Strong analytical skills (engineering analysis)
- Leading and guidance of different trades in a construction environment, hands-on troubleshooting skills and the capability to utilize AutoCAD, analysis software and company quality system software.
Sanofi is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. Our goal is to attract, develop and retain highly talented employees from diverse backgrounds, allowing us to benefit from a wide variety of experiences and perspectives. We welcome and encourage applications from all qualified applicants. Accommodations for persons with disabilities required during the recruitment process are available upon request.Apply Now