Synaptive Medical is a Downtown Toronto based company focused on developing medical equipment and applications for neurosurgical procedures. Together, these devices form a full and complete solution of visualization technologies for the operating room. In the past 20 years, the core members of Synaptive Medical have founded and grown multiple successful medical start-ups into international markets. The company has a number of opportunities for motivated people to join the team and share in the challenges and rewards of developing technologies to improve patient care and outcomes in neurosurgery.
We have an amazing opportunity for a Senior Optics Developer to address the optical hardware requirements for the Surgical Systems team. You’ll exercise your breadth of optical engineering and scientific knowledge to help bring the latest technology to market. You will be responsible for the design, prototype, debugging of component and system level designs that enable our Surgical System products.
We’re looking for someone experienced in most (or likely all) stages of the optical systems development lifecycle and enjoys getting their hands dirty with rapid prototyping and hands-on troubleshooting. You’ll quickly diagnose complex issues across multiple connected systems and work with a cross-functional team to resolve issues and generate new designs.
In addition, you will have the opportunity to see the outputs of your work installed in hospitals and impact the lives of patients around the world.
What You’ll Do
- Become a subject matter expert on the optical design of Synaptive’s surgical product line
- Design and develop optical systems according to product requirements to achieve best-in-class performance
- Manage third party optical companies; specifying optical parameters, reviewing their designs, and verifying optical performance
- Contribute to requirements gathering utilizing latest available literature and hands-on experimentation
- Generation and analysis of models, detailed drawings and BOM of hardware components
- Assist in procurement of prototype materials, including liaising with suppliers, generating RFQs and SOWs, as required
- Assemble and test prototype systems during product development cycle
- Conduct and participate in reviews for software and hardware design as well as product requirements and risk analysis
- Investigate and resolve issues with prototype, production and customer systems as needed
- Work with internal customers (operations, service, quality, regulatory, test) to successfully transfer design to production and sustain products throughout their lifetime
- Support development of testing and manufacturing processes of products including design of test and manufacturing fixtures
- Generate records (technical reports, presentations) to document history of design (DHF) and ensure product can be manufactured and maintained at the highest level of quality
What You’ll Need
- Bachelor’s degree in Optical Engineering, Mechatronics Engineering, Systems Design Engineering, or equivalent
- 5+ years of experience in optical systems design
It’d Be Amazing If You Had
- 5+ years of experience with SolidWorks and SolidWorks EPDM
- 2+ years of experience with Zemax or equivalent optical design software
- Knowledgeable of the following standards and relevant collateral standards: IEC 60601, ISO 13485, ISO 14971
- Experience in the design, development, and testing of medical devices
- Ability to work collaboratively to solve complex technical and business challenges
- Fast learner with excellent problem-solving skills
- Friendly and positive attitude
- Self-motivated and self-managing
- Ability to work in a highly technical, fast-paced environment
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively
- Ability to take ownership of a problem and see it through resolution while utilizing help from others
- Diversity & Inclusivity
Synaptive is based out of one of the most diverse countries in the world. This includes differences related to race, ethnicity, national origin, gender, gender expression and presentation, sexual orientation, religion, age, ability and socioeconomic status. To us, diversity is one our strongest assets to our organization. We commit ourselves to promoting the recognition and appreciation of our diverse and rich culture. We believe that it is critical to our success to promote freedom of thought and opinion in a respectful environment. The decisions we make are rooted by respectfully considering each other’s thoughts and opinions and by working towards a greater common goal, saving lives.
Synaptive Medical is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals, including visible minorities, Indigenous People, and persons with disabilities. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. If as a qualified job applicant, you request accommodation, Synaptive will consult with you to provide reasonable accommodations according to your specific needs. If you wish to make a request, you will be provided an opportunity if you’re applications is selected to proceed in our hiring process.
How to Apply
Unless otherwise stated, applications will only be considered from candidates eligible to work in Canada, or the county in which they’re applying to, without sponsorship.
If you are interested in this position and can demonstrate that you meet or exceed the requirements defined in the job description, please include #GOBRAIN in the top right corner of your resume and then complete your online application by clicking “Apply Now” and following the prompts.
The successful candidate to this role will be asked to complete background checks, which may include criminal, credit, employment and/or educational checks. All offers of employment are conditional on the receipt of satisfactory results of any applicable background check.
We would like to thank everyone who submits an application. Due to the volume that we receive, only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.Apply Now