At Charles River, we are passionate about improving the quality of people’s lives. When you join our global family, you will help create healthier lives for millions of patients and their families.
Charles River employees are innovative thinkers, who are dedicated to continuous learning and improvement. We will empower you with the resources you need to grow and develop in your career.
As a Charles River employee, you will be part of an industry-leading, customer-focused company at the forefront of drug development. Your skills will play a key role in bringing life-saving therapies to market faster through simpler, quicker, and more digitalized processes. Whether you are in lab operations, finance, IT, sales, or another area, when you work at Charles River, you will be the difference every day for patients across the globe.
The Operational Platform Engineer is a seasoned IT generalist with a wide breadth of experience supporting enterprise-level public-facing web properties in an international setting. Self-motivated and inquisitive, they will adapt to rapidly changing technologies and respond to evolving threats to ensure continuity, compliance, and security of web operations across significant portions of our enterprise. Knowledgeable on industry trends in web development and aware of what the near future will bring.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support Drupal-based public website, currently hosted by Acquia Cloud Enterprise, and the Cloudflare-based Content Delivery Network and Web Application Firewall, with bot management via DataDome.
- Support additional web properties by registering new domains, managing SSL certificates, implementing security best practices, and migrating web redirects from registrar to new app service. This includes management of Azure hosting, resource groups, app services, scaling, monitoring, etc.
- Support Google Marketing Platform (Search Console, Analytics, AdWords, etc.), and integration of other third-party tools on the production website, resolving conflicts and optimizing performance.
- Develop and maintain Google Tag Manager elements to support TrustArc Cookie Consent Manager, and website events. Provide code review and technical guidance for partner agencies developing in our GTM container.
- Provide site monitoring and incident response support using various security tools
- Ensure work is compliant with privacy-related regulations and IT security policies.
- Conduct code reviews and help colleagues troubleshoot their code as needed.
- Work closely with users, other developers, and vendors as appropriate to identify, isolate, and resolve software problems and faults.
- Contribute to the development of new principles and concepts.
- Perform all other related duties as assigned.
- Help write unit, integration, end to end tests, and develop automation tools for daily tasks.
- Ensure work is compliant with applicable guidelines and regulations (e.g., SOX, SOP , GLP , GMP , etc.).
Technical Qualifications (Proficiency in the following areas)
- Web hosting
- LAMP+Drupal and Microsoft Azure preferred
- DNS and domain registrars (InfoBlox, CSC preferred)
- IT Security and Compliance
- GDPR, CCPA and other privacy-related regulations
- Secure hosting principles, especially as they apply to .NET and PHP sites
- OWASP and similar secure web applications principles
- Cookie Consent Manager (TrustArc preferred, especially zerocookie load via GTM)
- Web server performance monitoring and incident forensic analysis (New Relic, SolarWinds preferred)
- Bot management (DataDome preferred)
- Web and server log analysis (Splunk preferred)
- CDN/WAF (Cloudflare preferred)
- Google Marketing Platform Tools
- Tag Manager – enterprise level
- Search Console
- Data Studio/Looker Studio
- Analytics (both Universal Analytics and GA4)
- Drupal platform administration (Drupal 8/9/10, Acquia preferred)
- Caching technologies (Varnish, Cloudflare preferred)
- Search technologies (Apache Solr preferred)
- Third-party integrations for tools like social media tags (Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, LinkedIn, etc.), Digital Asset Management (Widen preferred). Ability to understand other integrations likeKnovio, dot.vu, Transistor, Vidyard.
- SEO/SEM tools (Screaming Frog preferred)
- Git and Pipelines (Azure DevOps preferred)
- Education: Bachelor’s degree (B.A./B.S.) or equivalent in computer science or related discipline.
- Experience: Minimum of 5 years related experience in web development. Experience in agile development required. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted as a satisfactory substitute for the specific education and experience listed above.
- Strong experience as a developer on a cross functional agile team with understanding of Agile methodologies and ability to use Azure DevOps or similar project management tool
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple stories within a sprint
- Detail oriented with problem-solving skills
- Strong interpersonal communication skills with ability to communicate complex technical concepts
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and collaboratively in a team
The pay range for this position is $115,000 – $140,000 USD. Please note that salaries vary within the range based on factors including, but not limited to, experience, skills, education, certifications, and location.
About Corporate Functions
The Corporate Functions provide operational support across Charles River in areas such as Human Resources, Finance, IT, Legal, Sales, Quality Assurance, Marketing, and Corporate Development. They partner with their colleagues across the company to develop and drive strategies and to set global standards. The functions are essential to providing a bridge between strategic vision and operational readiness, to ensure ongoing functional innovation and capability improvement.
About Charles River
Charles River is an early-stage contract research organization (CRO). We have built upon our foundation of laboratory animal medicine and science to develop a diverse portfolio of discovery and safety assessment services, both Good Laboratory Practice (GLP) and non-GLP, to support clients from target identification through preclinical development. Charles River also provides a suite of products and services to support our clients’ clinical laboratory testing needs and manufacturing activities. Utilizing this broad portfolio of products and services enables our clients to create a more flexible drug development model, which reduces their costs, enhances their productivity and effectiveness to increase speed to market.
With over 20,000 employees within 110 facilities in over 20 countries around the globe, we are strategically positioned to coordinate worldwide resources and apply multidisciplinary perspectives in resolving our client’s unique challenges. Our client base includes global pharmaceutical companies, biotechnology companies, government agencies and hospitals and academic institutions around the world.
At Charles River, we are passionate about our role in improving the quality of people’s lives. Our mission, our excellent science and our strong sense of purpose guide us in all that we do, and we approach each day with the knowledge that our work helps to improve the health and well-being of many across the globe. We have proudly supported the development of 86% of the drugs approved by the FDA in 2021.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Charles River Laboratories is an Equal Opportunity Employer – all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
If you are interested in applying to Charles River Laboratories and need special assistance or an accommodation due to a disability to complete any forms or to otherwise participate in the resume submission process, please contact a member of our Human Resources team by sending an e-mail message to [email protected]. This contact is for accommodation requests for individuals with disabilities only and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications.Apply Now