In the race for the future of health – The Sanofi mRNA Center of Excellence
At Sanofi, we believe in a world in which no one suffers or dies from vaccine-preventable diseases. And while the pandemic has shaken up our industry, creating new opportunities and risks, we believe the acceleration of innovation with mRNA technology means vaccines for more people faster than before.
That’s why we’re looking for bold, optimistic world-changers to join the team at our mRNA Center of Excellence. We’re investing €400m a year into the new Center, hiring a team of 400 dedicated employees for it and using it as the foundation to implement integrated end-to-end mRNA vaccine capabilities and research with R&D, digital and CMC teams.
Bring your ambition and optimism for the future to Sanofi. Join us.
About the Opportunity
As an experienced mRNA ML Data Scientist, you will lead data analysis, ML and modelling efforts for design and optimization of best-in-class mRNA vaccines and therapeutics as part of the Data and Computational Science team in the mRNA CoE. This team brings end to end data integration and advanced analytics (pre-clinical, biomarkers, process development, CMC, clinical) in the mRNA CoE. Deploying and exploiting digital solutions (AI/machine learning, data, analytics) to integrate the full data value chain, extracting actionable information for a move to a full data driven strategy, and decision-making process, to increase probability of success and to accelerate mRNA vaccines and therapeutics development and launch. In this position, you will work in collaboration with other mRNA CoE platforms scientific and technical experts located in the US and in France, bringing practical knowledge and experience in applying Machine Learning (ML) for design and optimization of mRNA vaccines and therapeutics. We look for scientists with deep expertise in the mathematics and theoretical underpinnings of machine learning and deep knowledge and experience in RNA biology/biophysics/biochemistry.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES FOR POSITION
In this role you will
• Collaborate with stakeholders and other group experts in the development and execution of the scientific strategy and technical solutions to develop best-in-class mRNA vaccines and therapeutics
• Be responsible for identifying, setting strategy and delivering 1 to 2 end to end ML data science projects for design and optimization of mRNA sequences and formulations and predict performance for vaccines and therapeutic applications
• Act as a scientific expert and partner in the fields of RNA biology/biochemistry/biophysics and AI/ML
• Design and assess studies to evaluate the performance of mRNA vaccines and therapeutics. Translate experimental learnings into the development and refinement of computational models for design, optimization, selection and formulation of mRNA vaccines
• Develop and evaluate computational and statistical methods for data analysis
• Responsible for designing, prototyping, and validating computational solutions to diverse scientific challenges in the fields of mRNA vaccines and therapeutics
• Develop, deploy, and assess the results of at-scale models at varying levels of model granularity encompassing heterogeneous preclinical and clinical data
• Employ machine learning methods such as deep learning, neural networks, reinforcement learning, graphical and generative models to deconvolve high dimensional experimental and in silico modelling results
• Maintain a well-documented, reusable codebase, and traceable model history
• Maintain awareness of latest developments in relevant fields, evaluate and apply as warranted
• Generate IP and participate in the drafting of patent filings
• Prepare and publish scientific papers and congress reports
• Demonstrate good software engineering practices
• Proactively identify, assess, and internalize emerging technologies and methods
COMPETENCIES/REQUIREMENTS FOR POSITION
• PhD in computational biology/molecular biology (RNA) with expertise in machine learning or an advanced degree in computational sciences, machine learning or other technical fields with expertise in RNA biology. 3+ years post-doc experience including project leadership; preferentially in industry
• Deep knowledge and experience in RNA biology/biophysics/biochemistry (structure, function, engineering)
• High proficiency in machine learning (Deep Learning, Embeddings, Reinforcement and Transfer Learning) and algorithmic analysis of data
• High proficiency in Python/R, machine learning and deep learning libraries, bioinformatics tools and cloud computing
• Practical experience proposing, prototyping, and deploying novel algorithms; developing and validating new models
• Demonstrated record of transforming algorithms/theory into practical applications delivering robust models that are high performance, interpretable and actionable
• Experience with software development good practices (code versioning, testing, etc.)
• A creative problem solver, skilled in divergent thinking and turning complex data into actionable insights and knowledge
• Good communication scientific writing and presentation skills, ability to simplify complex problems and communicate complex solutions in a simple and effective manner
• Good networking skills and fluent interactions with one or more scientific communities
• Understanding of vaccine development processes is a plus, as well as familiarity with RNA processes and RNA-centric techniques/methods
• Fluent in English (French is a plus)
Sanofi Inc. and its U.S. affiliates are Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employers committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race; color; creed; religion; national origin; age; ancestry; nationality; marital, domestic partnership or civil union status; sex, gender, gender identity or expression; affectional or sexual orientation; disability; veteran or military status or liability for military status; domestic violence victim status; atypical cellular or blood trait; genetic information (including the refusal to submit to genetic testing) or any other characteristic protected by law.
As a healthcare company and a vaccine manufacturer, Sanofi has an important responsibility to protect individual and public health. All US based roles require individuals to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as part of your job responsibilities.
According to the CDC, an individual is considered to be “fully vaccinated” fourteen (14) days after receiving (a) the second dose of the Moderna or Pfizer vaccine, or (b) the single dose of the J&J vaccine. Fully vaccinated, for new Sanofi employees, is to be fully vaccinated 14 DAYS PRIOR TO START DATE.
At Sanofi diversity and inclusion is foundational to how we operate and embedded in our Core Values. We recognize to truly tap into the richness diversity brings we must lead with inclusion and have a workplace where those differences can thrive and be leveraged to empower the lives of our colleagues, patients and customers. We respect and celebrate the diversity of our people, their backgrounds and experiences and provide equal opportunity for all.Apply Now