Job Description Summary
The Manufacturing Technologist is responsible for the manufacturing, assembly, testing and troubleshooting of automation instruments. This is a hands-on role involved in the manufacture of advanced lab automation instruments for STEMCELL's new and existing customers globally and requires an individual who has a high mechanical and electrical aptitude with experience in a production environment. You will be part of a dynamic, product manufacturing team responsible for the assembly and testing of the electrical and mechanical technology in our benchtop instruments. As Canada’s largest biotechnology company, STEMCELL provides leading edge instrument and reagent solutions that drive our customers' research at the forefront of science. The role provides an opportunity to contribute in design innovation and ground breaking work for our customers, as well as maintaining our leadership presence in the life sciences industry.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Independently perform instrument module electrical and mechanical assembly; verify the product quality performance.
- Diagnose and resolve all common assembly issues.
- Perform refurbishment activities for instruments and prepare for resale.
- Adhere to the established manufacturing schedule by effective planning and time management.
- Accountable for inventory control of raw materials, sub-assemblies and finished goods (incoming inspections, weekly and annual cycle count, inventory transactions and adjustments in ERP system).
- Provide guidance to the design team on requirements for manufacturability.
- Maintain device manufacturing, assembly and testing records.
- Draft and update assembly instruction documents and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Represent the Manufacturing Team during Quality and TÜV audits.
- Ensure compliance of written procedures consistent with ISO 13485 for component incoming inspection, part picking, instrument assembly, and product release testing.
- Responsible for training and mentoring of staff as required.
- A bachelor’s degree or technical diploma with 5-8 years of relevant experience, preferably with at least 2 years of experience in field service.
- Familiarity with robotics, vision systems, liquid handling, automation and software systems with strong diagnostic and problem solving skills. Specialization or on-the-job experience required.
- Demonstrated ability in manufacturing mechanical, electrical, and optical systems.
- 3+ years of industrial experience in ISO certified companies.
- 2+ years of high precision mechanical assembly.
- Team oriented yet self-motivated and mature enough to work independently.
- Experience in design and written procedures consistent with TÜV and ISO 13485 is an asset.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal, written and presentation) both in one-on-one and in group settings.
- Attention to detail combined with the ability to execute at a high level with significant independence.
- Highly flexible, good tolerance for ambiguity and able to quickly adapt to changing priorities.
- Team orientated – ‘one-team’ attitude is a must.
- Confident, results-oriented.
STEMCELL Technologies Inc. is a privately-owned biotechnology company based in Vancouver that helps power leading-edge life science research around the world. Scientists performing stem cell, immunology, cancer, regenerative medicine and cellular therapy research are among those who rely on our cell culture media, cell separation products, instruments, ancillary reagents and contract assay services. We create novel, useful, standardized products of unfailing quality and deliver them to more than 70 countries via our many regional offices plus distribution centres in Vancouver, Seattle, Grenoble and Singapore. Driven by our love of science and our passion for quality, we see ourselves simply as “Scientists Helping Scientists” – standing by our customers to provide outstanding products, technical support and training. We have over 1000 science-oriented employees globally, including 250 PhDs/MScs, with most others holding a BSc or engineering degree. STEMCELL is proud to be the largest Biotechnology employer in Canada. This is an opportunity to work with highly motivated colleagues in a science-oriented, creative and dynamic environment. We offer a competitive salary, excellent benefits and significant career development opportunities. If you are interested in this challenging and rewarding position, please use ‘apply now’ to apply on our careers site.Apply Now