Zymeworks is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company dedicated to the discovery, development and commercialization of next-generation bispecific and multifunctional biotherapeutics, initially focused on the treatment of cancer. Zymeworks’ suite of complementary therapeutic platforms and its fully-integrated drug development engine provide the flexibility and compatibility to precisely engineer and develop highly-differentiated product candidates.
This position will report to the Associate Director, Business Operations and will be based in Seattle, WA
- Develops and implements an organization-wide Health and Safety (H&S) strategy that complies with legal and regulatory requirements in Canada and the USA.
- Manages the H&S program, prepares and submits the H&S budget, maintains applicable documentation, establishes performance measures, and analyzes and reports on health and safety program results and trends.
- Designs and, in partnership with operations, executes processes, policies, and procedures that ensure safe workplaces and protect employees and clients from potentially unsafe conditions, and cultivate a health and safety culture.
- Collaborates with the Learning and Development team to create and facilitate training on H&S practices and requirements, and to identify areas for improvement.
- Tracks and ensures that H&S training is delivered to client groups in compliance with internal policies and legislative requirements.
- Acts as a resource to the People Team and others, monitors the external environment for relevant changes recommending adjustments to policy and process as needed.
- Engages Joint Occupational Health and Safety Committees (JOHSC) to understand trends, ensure safety priorities are addressed in a timely way, and to support local offices in driving a culture of safety.
- Provides support to the JOHSC to ensure its effectiveness.
- Proactively engages H&S subject matter experts on matters pertaining to biosafety, biocontainment, biosecurity and environment & sustainability.
- Develops and updates Accident and Incident database and analyzes accident and incident database for trends.
- Participates in the development and implementation of SOPs to ensure H&S hazards and positive controls are integrated with standardized symbols.
- Monitors and oversees adherence to the Emergency Response Program, including employee databases and fire plans.
- Continuously monitors and maintains familiarity with the statutory requirements related to the Safety, Health, and Environmental legislation.
- Standardizes regular reporting to enable thoughtful and proactive decision-making and planning by local leaders to address safety and risk gaps.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably with a focus in, Health, Safety, or Environment Sciences and a minimum of 5 years’ related experience, preferably within a pharmaceutical or biotechnology/lab setting or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Canadian/US Registered Safety Professional and experience with Ergonomics training programs is preferred.
Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of Safety, Biosafety, Ergonomics and other regulatory requirements and industry best practices.
- Ability to communicate and present clearly and effectively across the organization.
- Familiarity with wellness (including ergonomics) and /benefits programs to allow coordination with the People Team and Business Operations to ensure proper onboarding of new employees.
- Knowledge of workplace hazards and hierarchy of controls & general safety principles
- Proven interpersonal skills with the ability to work collaboratively as a member of a cross-functional team.
- Strong command of project management capabilities, including developing and managing timelines, budgets, and risks.
- Demonstrated leadership skills with a successful track record of accomplishing high quality results.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Ability to work independently.
- Effective problem solving skills and the ability to recognize and anticipate problems and connect groups together to solve problems as they arise.
- Proficiency with MS Office, H&S Accident and incident software.
- Previous pharmaceutical and/or laboratory experience is preferred.
- Ability to travel within North America (at least once per quarter).
Why Work for Us?
At Zymeworks, we stand for innovation, integrity, collaboration and care.
Zymeworks’ employees are passionate, engaged and extremely motivated to succeed. We are excited by the cutting-edge science and technology, the endless possibilities this union holds and the sheer opportunity to be a part of something big. To learn more about Zymeworks Inc. and our current openings, please visit our website at https://zymeworks.bamboohr.com/jobs/.
We offer challenging career opportunities, competitive benefits and an environment that recognizes and rewards performance.
How to Apply
If you are interested in this challenging opportunity, please apply online at https://zymeworks.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=365. Due to the high volume of applicants, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
NOTE TO EMPLOYMENT AGENCIES: Zymeworks values our relationships with our Recruitment Partners. We will only accept resumes from those partners whom have been contracted by a member of our Human Resources team to collaborate with us. Zymeworks is not responsible for any fees related to resumes that are unsolicited or are received without contract.Apply Now