The Building Systems Specialist is responsible for supporting the repair, maintenance and improvements of building infrastructure systems of the STEMCELL premises (manufacturing, laboratories, distribution and offices) under the Building Systems Maintenance Program.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Execute the maintenance program activities including but not limited to: inspecting, monitoring and maintaining the building systems according to the maintenance program specifications and simultaneously record all work performed on controlled documentation. Building-related operations include clean room operation and maintenance, water systems, compressed gas systems, compressors, boilers, fume hoods, exhaust fans, chillers, pumps, HVAC and humidifier.
- Troubleshoot and resolve equipment performance issues; respond to after hour calls.
- Coordinate scheduled maintenance work with user groups and contractors, including working during non-business hours when required to minimize operation downtime.
- Collaborate with user groups and Quality Control/Assurance teams to ensure building programs are aligned with STEMCELL’s standard operating procedures (SOPs).
- Ensure that building-related operations and maintenance are conducted in accordance to STEMCELL’s Quality Management System (QMS), including ISO13485 and good manufacturing practices (GMP). Conduct, document commissioning and qualification. Document deficiencies and complete reports as required.
- May write operational SOPs with guidance.
- Perform work on equipment based on documented training material. Participate in required training and read relevant SOPs as required.
- Ensure utility, electrical and mechanical rooms are maintained, kept clean and free of debris. Coordinate with building owner management on any maintenance activities that are covered by the lease agreement.
- Oversee and ensure proper inventory levels of facilities equipment, spare parts, and supplies are maintained at the required levels.
- Coordinate and supervise third-party maintenance activities and service contracts.
- Resolve user comfort issues involving work with HVAC and DDC (direct digital control system).
- Contribute to the ongoing development of the Preventive Maintenance program, including scheduling adjustments, contractor reviews, and recommendations.
- Contribute to design projects by creating technical drawings and specifications.
- Provide clean room trend analysis data and reports.
- Minimum 5 to 7 years experience in mechanical/electrical maintenance or related work. Experience in an industrial/production facility is preferred.
- Degree/diploma in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering and certificate in a trade or technology.
- 4th class Power Engineering is required.
- Good mechanical and electrical aptitude and experience with steam, compressed air, chillers, hydronic, water systems, process equipment and HVAC.
- Possess a safety oriented mindset.
- Highly organized with strong time management and documentation skills.
- Mechanically inclined with good problem solving and troubleshooting skills.
- Effective communicator in responding to demanding situations.
- Proficiency using MS Office Suite.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills both in one-on-one and in a group setting.
- Team oriented yet self-motivated and mature to work independently, detail-oriented and proficient at time management.
- Experience in compressed gases and process piping is an asset.
- Building/system automation is an asset.
STEMCELL Technologies Inc. is a privately-owned biotechnology company based in Vancouver that helps power leading-edge life science research around the world. Scientists performing stem cell, immunology, cancer, regenerative medicine and cellular therapy research are among those who rely on our cell culture media, cell separation products, instruments, ancillary reagents and contract assay services. We create novel, useful, standardized products of unfailing quality and deliver them to more than 70 countries via our many regional offices plus distribution centres in Vancouver, Seattle, Grenoble and Singapore. Driven by our love of science and our passion for quality, we see ourselves simply as “Scientists Helping Scientists” – standing by our customers to provide outstanding products, technical support and training. We have over 1000 science-oriented employees globally, including 250 PhDs/MScs, with most others holding a BSc or engineering degree. STEMCELL is proud to be the largest Biotechnology employer in Canada.
This is an opportunity to work with highly motivated colleagues in a science-oriented, creative and dynamic environment. We offer a competitive salary, excellent benefits and significant career development opportunities. If you are interested in this challenging and rewarding position, please use ‘apply now’ to apply on our careers site.Apply Now