We are seeking an Associate Director, Health & Safety for our Canada sites. This position will be located in Senneville or Laval.
Responsible for managing and directing Environment, Health, Safety, and Sustainability (EHS&S) functions of Canadian sites to serve the company’s strategic and tactical needs. The main responsibilities include the development and delivery of leading edge EHS&S programs for the region and overseeing continuous improvement and performance around core EHS&S metrics.
The following are responsibilities related to the Associate Director, Health & Safety:
- Provide oversight of EHS&S policies and procedures of Canadian sites.
- Provide proactive direction on initiatives that will improve EHS&S performance while minimizing risks and exposures.
- Design, implement and continuously improve EHS&S management consistent with industry standard practices.
- Direct activities of EHS&S employees of the sites to ensure optimum performance of the group.
- Oversee and direct programs which ensure compliance with applicable regulations and internal policies.
- Stay informed of current and new regulatory requirements and other guidelines considered for implementation. Communicate significant regulatory and technical information to appropriate personnel.
- Design and implement EHS&S audit procedures for the different operation of the sites.
- Ensure adherence to pertinent regulatory requirements and to departmental policies, practices and procedures [SOPs, safety procedures and biosafety protocols.
The minimum requirement for this role includes the following:
- Education: Minimum Bachelor’s degree (BSc.) or equivalent. Master degree in Industrial Hygiene preferred.
- Experience: 8 years related experience in a mid-to-large size biotech/health organization with EHS&S management responsibilities; People management experience is required.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted as a satisfactory substitute for the specific education and experience listed above.
- Other: Expert level knowledge and application of environmental and health & safety regulations and familiarity with EHS regulatory agencies’ protocols. Have ability to analyze chemical and biological hazards and implement programs to mitigate risks. Industrial hygiene certification and ergonomic program experience are preferred. Hands-on experience in a biotech/health work environment. Must be computer literate (Microsoft Office software).
- Other: Bilingual. Strong interpersonal skills. Strong communication skills
About Safety Assessment
Charles River is committed to helping our partners expedite their preclinical drug development with exceptional safety assessment services, state-of-the-art facilities and expert regulatory guidance. From individual specialty toxicology and IND enabling studies to tailored packages and total laboratory support, our deeply experienced team can design and execute programs that anticipate challenges and avoid roadblocks for a smooth, efficient journey to market. Each year approximately 120 investigational new drug (IND) programs are conducted in our Safety Assessment facilities.
About Charles River
Charles River is an early-stage contract research organization (CRO). We have built upon our foundation of laboratory animal medicine and science to develop a diverse portfolio of discovery and safety assessment services, both Good Laboratory Practice (GLP) and non-GLP, to support clients from target identification through preclinical development. Charles River also provides a suite of products and services to support our clients’ clinical laboratory testing needs and manufacturing activities. Utilizing this broad portfolio of products and services enables our clients to create a more flexible drug development model, which reduces their costs, enhances their productivity and effectiveness to increase speed to market.
With over 14,000 employees within 80 facilities in 20 countries around the globe, we are strategically positioned to coordinate worldwide resources and apply multidisciplinary perspectives in resolving our client’s unique challenges. Our client base includes global pharmaceutical companies, biotechnology companies, government agencies and hospitals and academic institutions around the world. And in 2018, revenue increased by 22% to $2.27 billion from $1.86 billion in 2017.
At Charles River, we are passionate about our role in improving the quality of people’s lives. Our mission, our excellent science and our strong sense of purpose guide us in all that we do, and we approach each day with the knowledge that our work helps to improve the health and well-being of many across the globe. We have proudly supported the development of ~85% of the drugs approved by the FDA in 2018.Apply Now