For 70 years, Charles River employees have worked together to assist in the discovery, development and safe manufacture of new drug therapies. When you join our family, you will have a significant impact on the health and well-being of people across the globe. Whether your background is in life sciences, finance, IT, sales or another area, your skills will play an important role in the work we perform. In return, we’ll help you build a career that you can feel passionate about.
Animal Health Technician – Inhalation – Toxicology
We are looking for an animal health technician who wishes to be part of a dynamic and collaborative team that cares about the well-being of animals. The inhalation team specializes in animal dosing with state of the art equipment. This equipment is used to determine the different concentrations of aerosol as well as the sampling of the dosage before the administration of the different medications.
- Prepare machines, calibrate machines, take samples, perform dosing;
- Administer test items and/or medications to animals (gavage, intramuscular, subcutaneous and intravenous injections);
- Perform sample collection (urine, blood, cerebrospinal fluid);
- Use specialized equipment (breathing masks, cylinders, dosing chambers);
- Demonstrate initiative and interest in new work techniques and in working with different animal species;
- Observe, examine and follow up on clinical signs of animals;
- Record the weight of the animals and their food consumption;
- Ensure adequate and accessible food and water supplies for all animals at all times;
- Clean all types of animal housing and accessories;
- Handle animals for any activity that requires it;
- Enter animal data using computer program;
- Read and ensure understanding of study plans prior to the start of each study;
- Understand, adhere to, and follow Standard Organizational Procedures;
- Perform any other reasonable duties that may be required.
Requirements & Benefits
- College diploma in animal health, bioecology, biotechnology or equivalent, or a bachelor’s degree in science with a specialized profile in the animal field;
- High manual dexterity and sensitivity;
- Practical knowledge of animal health sciences;
- Ability to maintain the regular physical effort required to lift, push and move equipment and animals;
- Ability to read and understand English; Bilingualism is an asset;
- Ability to work in a team environment;
- Ability to manage time efficiently;
- Ability to adapt to change;
- Flexibility to work a variety of hours including weekends, as well as the possibility of overtime evenings and nights as needed;
- Working knowledge of computer applications related to the position.
- On-the-job training;
- Possibility of internal advancement according to strengths and interests;
- Competitive benefits – Dental, Medication, Physiotherapy, Psychotherapy, Optometrist, Life Insurance, RRSP/TFSA participation;
- Uniform provided;
- Free parking;
- Shuttle available from St-Anne-de-Bellevue train station or John Abbott bus stop to Charles River site.
- Basic: $19.50 / hour,
- Weekend and evening: $2.50 premium
- After 37.5 hours: Paid at half time
- Holiday: Paid at double time
About Safety Assessment
Charles River is committed to helping our partners expedite their preclinical drug development with exceptional safety assessment services, state-of-the-art facilities and expert regulatory guidance. From individual specialty toxicology and IND enabling studies to tailored packages and total laboratory support, our deeply experienced team can design and execute programs that anticipate challenges and avoid roadblocks for a smooth, efficient journey to market. Each year approximately 120 investigational new drug (IND) programs are conducted in our Safety Assessment facilities.
About Charles River
Charles River is an early-stage contract research organization (CRO). We have built upon our foundation of laboratory animal medicine and science to develop a diverse portfolio of discovery and safety assessment services, both Good Laboratory Practice (GLP) and non-GLP, to support clients from target identification through preclinical development. Charles River also provides a suite of products and services to support our clients’ clinical laboratory testing needs and manufacturing activities. Utilizing this broad portfolio of products and services enables our clients to create a more flexible drug development model, which reduces their costs, enhances their productivity and effectiveness to increase speed to market.
With over 17,000 employees within 90 facilities in 20 countries around the globe, we are strategically positioned to coordinate worldwide resources and apply multidisciplinary perspectives in resolving our client’s unique challenges. Our client base includes global pharmaceutical companies, biotechnology companies, government agencies and hospitals and academic institutions around the world. And in 2019, revenue increased to $2.62 billion.
At Charles River, we are passionate about our role in improving the quality of people’s lives. Our mission, our excellent science and our strong sense of purpose guide us in all that we do, and we approach each day with the knowledge that our work helps to improve the health and well-being of many across the globe. We have proudly supported the development of ~85% of the drugs approved by the FDA in 2019.