All participants receive free access to the new Essential and Technical Skills Fundamentals training programs.
click images for the full videos
IMPORTANT UPDATE FOR ALL SWPP PARTICIPANTS AND EMPLOYERS:
BioTalent Canada has launched online SWPP submissions effective January 11, 2022. PDF applications will no longer be accepted after January 31, 2022.
All existing employers’ accounts will be reset. Your new credentials will be your email address as both username and password. You can change your password once you log in. For technical support, please reach out to Marie: [email protected].
For information on the SWPP program and whether your organization qualifies, please reach out to Colleen at [email protected].
Online submissions are limited to SWPP and are not available for other programs at this time.
What could your organization achieve with up to $7,500 in wage subsidies?
The Student Work Placement Program (SWPP) is an initiative to increase the job-readiness of students registered in STEM, healthcare, business, and all other programs at Canadian post-secondary institutions.
The program gives employers the freedom to:
- Gain access to funds to hire students
- Leverage a pool of workers eager to enhance their skills
- Develop new talent for future recruitment needs
The program’s wage subsidies help knock down that cost barrier, by covering the cost of a student’s salary by 75% up to a maximum of $7,500 for all participants.
The program enables you to bring on an eager-to-learn student for a special project – and at the end of the placement end up with a skilled candidate already oriented to your company who could meet your future recruiting needs.
As a SWPP participant, you get the added benefit of free access to BioTalent Canada’s new training programs—“Essential Skills Fundamentals Training Program” and “Technical Skills Fundamentals Training Program”. Access will be provided to you once your placement is approved.
Get the BioReady™ Edge by completing these programs and have a competitive advantage as you begin your career journey. A strong command of all the basics enables you to onboard easily, contribute quickly, and impress immediately.
Need help with your recruiting? Connect to our academic partners for student talent
Long success record
Update: Post-secondary institutions (universities, colleges and polytechnics) can be the employer of record to offer meaningful placements to students.
Wage subsidies are available to all employers who are creating a work-integrated learning opportunity and who meet the program criteria. Biotechnology or healthcare organizations can hire students from any post-secondary institutions across Canada through BioTalent Canada’s Student Work Placement Program.
Please note: international students are not eligible.
To qualify for the program, either:
- the position needs to have a biotechnology or healthcare focus or
- the employer needs to have a biotechnology or healthcare focus.
Participant/ Student must be:
- Enrolled as a full-time or part-time student at a Canadian post-secondary education institution
- A Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or persons to whom refugee protection has been conferred and legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations
- Studying in fields related to science, technology, engineering, mathematics (STEM), business and/ or any other program
Please also see the Participant information page for participant eligibility.
- Provide full- or part-time work opportunity at a minimum of 10 hours/week, for a minimum of 4 weeks up to a maximum of 16 weeks.
- Must be with a bio-economy employer or healthcare employer and/or fulfilling a bio-economy or healthcare job function.
- The wages for the placement must not be funded by other Federal grants such as CIHR, NSERC, Canada Summer Jobs, or by another federally-funded program such as IRAP, Mitacs etc. Placements funded through a stipend, scholarship and/or bursaries do not qualify.
- The student must be added to the employer’s payroll which includes Federal/Provincial tax deductions (CPP, EI, etc.). Participants are not eligible for the program as contractors.
- Should the placement be longer than 16 weeks, please contact us as you could be eligible to apply for another funding term.
Employers, uncertain if your job qualifies?
Contact Colleen at 1-866-243-2472, ext. 218 or [email protected].
Funded in part by the Government of Canada’s Student Work Placement Program.
Apply online for SWPP funding in three easy steps:
- Sign in to your BioTalent Canada user account;
- On your dashboard, click on the “My Applications” under Wage Subsidy Applications; and
- Click on the “Submit new wage subsidy application” button to get started
For technical support, please reach out to Marie: [email protected].
Please note, PDF application forms will no longer be accepted after January 31, 2022. To access our online submission tools—available January 11, 2022—please log into your biotalent.ca account. If you do not have an account, you can create one.
BioTalent Canada is processing applications as quickly as possible. To ensure timely approval and processing please ensure that your application includes all forms fully completed and signed along with required supporting documentation.