SWPP lowers the acquisition cost of talent and provides big results
Summer 2022 applications must be submitted online by 5:00 pm ET on Sept. 9, 2022. Retroactive applications are only being accepted for summer 2022 applications due to the volume at this time. If you have any questions, please contact [email protected].
Fall 2022 and Winter 2023 placements deadlines:
1. To ensure enough processing time, applications must be submitted at least six weeks before the placement end date.
2. Incomplete or inaccurate applications can cause delays.
3. Applications must be approved and contracts signed before the end of the placement.
4. If applications are incomplete or inaccurate, BioTalent Canada can not guarantee a contract will be in place before the end of the placement. Therefore wage subsidy funding will not be provided for that placement.
BioTalent Canada is only accepting applications submitted online. PDFs are no longer accepted.
Online submissions are limited to SWPP and are not available for other programs at this time.
What could your organization achieve with up to $7,000 in wage subsidies?
click images for the full videos
The Student Work Placement Program (SWPP) is an initiative to increase the job-readiness of students registered in STEM, healthcare, business, and all other programs at Canadian post-secondary institutions.
The program gives employers the freedom to:
- Gain access to funds to hire students
- Leverage a pool of workers eager to enhance their skills
- Develop new talent for future recruitment needs
The program’s wage subsidies help knock down cost barriers, by covering the cost of a student’s salary by 50% up to a maximum of $5,000 and 70% up to a maximum of $7,000 for first-year students and under-represented groups including: women in science, technology, engineering, or mathematics (STEM); indigenous students; persons with disabilities; members of a visible minority; and newcomers.
The program enables you to bring on an eager-to-learn student for a special project – and at the end of the placement end up with a skilled candidate already oriented to your company who could meet your future recruiting needs.
As a SWPP participant, you get the added benefit of free access to BioTalent Canada’s new training programs—“Essential Skills Fundamentals Training Program” and “Technical Skills Fundamentals Training Program”. Access will be provided to you once your placement is approved.
Get the BioReady™ Edge by completing these programs and have a competitive advantage as you begin your career journey. A strong command of all the basics enables you to onboard easily, contribute quickly, and impress immediately.
Need help with your recruiting? Connect to our academic partners for student talent
Long success record
Eligibility (as of April 1, 2022)
Update: Post-secondary institutions (universities, colleges and polytechnics) are no longer eligible to participate in SWPP as the employer of record.
Wage subsidies are available to all employers who are creating a work-integrated learning opportunity and who meet the program criteria. Biotechnology or healthcare organizations can hire students from any post-secondary institutions across Canada through BioTalent Canada’s Student Work Placement Program.
Please note: international students are not eligible.
To qualify for the program, either:
- the position needs to have a biotechnology or healthcare focus or
- the employer needs to have a biotechnology or healthcare focus.
Participant/ Student must be:
- Enrolled as a full-time or part-time student at a Canadian post-secondary education institution
- A Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or persons to whom refugee protection has been conferred and legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations
- Studying in fields related to science, technology, engineering, mathematics (STEM), business and/ or any other program
Please also see the Participant information page for participant eligibility.
- Provide full- or part-time work opportunity at a minimum of 10 hours/week, for a minimum of 4 weeks up to a maximum of 16 weeks.
- Must be with a bio-economy employer or healthcare employer and/or fulfilling a bio-economy or healthcare job function.
- To show the impact of this funding program, BioTalent Canada is required to track the number of students an employer hired in the past, before they receive BioTalent Canada SWPP funding. Please provide the lower number of students hired in either 2019, 2020 or 2021 for which you received no government funding. For example, if 2 students were hired in 2019, 9 in 2020 and 7 in 2021, enter 2. If you did not hire any students in either year please enter 0.
- The wages for the placement must not be funded by other Federal grants such as CIHR, NSERC, Canada Summer Jobs, or by another federally-funded program such as IRAP, Mitacs etc. Placements funded through a stipend, scholarship and/or bursaries do not qualify.
- The student must be added to the employer’s payroll which includes Federal/Provincial tax deductions (CPP, EI, etc.). Participants are not eligible for the program as contractors.
- Should the placement be longer than 16 weeks, please contact us as you could be eligible to apply for another funding term.
Employers, uncertain if your job qualifies?
Contact Colleen at 1-866-243-2472, ext. 218 or [email protected].
Funded in part by the Government of Canada’s Student Work Placement Program.
Apply online for SWPP funding in three easy steps:
- Sign in to your BioTalent Canada user account;
- On your dashboard, click on the “My Applications” under Wage Subsidy Applications; and
- Click on the “Submit new wage subsidy application” button to get started
What moving to an online application system means for you:
- A streamlined application process – each form is passed to the next person for completion before submission which means less duplication of efforts – Organization information is entered once and will be saved for future applications.
- Saves time – Required fields are easily identified to save time so you know what must be included
- Trackable – Application statuses will be viewable online through your dashboard.
- Improved communication – Automated email notifications will be sent to you, your participant, and the academic contact so they know when to complete their forms.
- Help with completing your application is just a click away with the new “Do you need help?” button.
- Flexible -You can now save and exit the application to complete it later.
BioTalent Canada is only accepting applications submitted online. PDFs are no longer accepted. To access our online submission tools, please log into your biotalent.ca account. If you do not have an account, you can create one.