All participants receive free access to the new Essential and Technical Skills Fundamentals training programs.
click images for the full videos
What could your organization achieve with up to $7,000 in wage subsidies?
The Student Work Placement Program (SWPP) is an initiative to increase the job-readiness of students registered in STEM, healthcare, business, and all other programs at Canadian post-secondary institutions.
The program gives employers the freedom to:
- Gain access to funds to hire students
- Leverage a pool of workers eager to enhance their skills
- Develop new talent for future recruitment needs
The program’s wage subsidies help knock down that cost barrier, by covering the cost of a student’s salary by 50% up to a maximum of $5,000 and 70% up to a maximum of $7,000 for first-year students and under-represented groups including: women in science, technology, engineering, or mathematics (STEM); indigenous students; persons with disabilities; members of a visible minority; and newcomers.
The program enables you to bring on an eager-to-learn student for a special project – and at the end of the placement end up with a skilled candidate already oriented to your company who could meet your future recruiting needs.
As a SWPP participant, you get the added benefit of free access to BioTalent Canada’s new training programs—“Essential Skills Fundamentals Training Program” and “Technical Skills Fundamentals Training Program”. Access will be provided to you once your placement is approved.
Get the BioReady™ Edge by completing these programs and have a competitive advantage as you begin your career journey. A strong command of all the basics enables you to onboard easily, contribute quickly, and impress immediately.
Need help with your recruiting? Connect to our academic partners for student talent
Long success record
Wage subsidies are available to all employers who are creating a work-integrated learning opportunity and who meet the program criteria. Biotechnology or healthcare organizations can hire students from any post-secondary institutions across Canada through BioTalent Canada’s Student Work Placement Program.
Please note: international students are not eligible.
To qualify for the program, either:
- the position needs to have a biotechnology or healthcare focus or
- the employer needs to have a biotechnology or healthcare focus.
Participant/ Student must be:
- Enrolled as a full-time or part-time student at a Canadian post-secondary education institution
- A Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or persons to whom refugee protection has been conferred and legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations
- Studying in fields related to science, technology, engineering, mathematics (STEM), business and/ or any other program
Please also see the Participant information page for participant eligibility.
- Provide full- or part-time work opportunity at a minimum of 10 hours/week, for a minimum of 4 weeks up to a maximum of 16 weeks.
- Must be with a bio-economy employer or healthcare employer and/or fulfilling a bio-economy or healthcare job function.
- The placement must be over and above your baseline (the number of placements hired the year before first participating in the Student Work Placement Program). Each term you are applying to requires a new application with the updated placement terms and current signatures.
- The wages for the placement must not be funded by other Federal grants such as CIHR, NSERC, Canada Summer Jobs, or by another federally-funded program such as IRAP, Mitacs etc. Placements funded through a stipend, scholarship and/or bursaries do not qualify.
- The student must be added to the employer’s payroll which includes Federal/Provincial tax deductions (CPP, EI, etc.). Participants are not eligible for the program as contractors.
- Should the placement be longer than 16 weeks, please contact us as you could be eligible to apply for another funding term.
For application details and instructions, please download the application forms.
BioTalent Canada is processing applications as quickly as possible. To ensure timely approval and processing please ensure that your application includes all forms fully completed and signed along with required supporting documentation.
Employers, uncertain if your job qualifies?
Contact Colleen at 1-866-243-2472, ext. 218 or [email protected].
Funded in part by the Government of Canada’s Student Work Placement Program.