Job Description Summary
STEMCELL has an opening for an experienced Senior Manager, Building Services responsible for overseeing the daily operational management and administration of STEMCELL’s offices. Working in partnership with the Facilities Management Team, this role is involved in both strategic planning and day-to-day operations of the buildings and premises, in addition to successfully driving industry-leading building services and processes that support the core business of our organization, and help make STEMCELL a great place to work.
The Senior Manager provides oversight of integrating new and existing systems, processes and infrastructure in a manner consistent with industry best practices ensuring that our working environments are operating seamlessly across global regions for our employees and their activities. This role liaises with, negotiates and facilitates consensus with all internal and external stakeholders and provides leadership on operational issues related to building and office services and/or priority setting, while continually researching and implementing new processes to improve operational efficiencies and enhance our service delivery model.
This position reports to the Vice-President, Facilities and is based at our headquarters located in Vancouver, BC.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for the leadership oversight and strategic direction of the building and office services management functions, team(s) and activities. Serve as an integral member of the Facilities Senior Management Team to provide operational direction.
- Participate in annual goal setting for the assigned functions and team(s) to prioritize operational deliverables and projects.
- Develop, continually evaluate and maintain the Building and Office Services Business Plan that includes short-term, long-term strategies and tactics, risk management, and building-wide contingency planning.
- Develop, implement and administer programs, policies, procedures and practices related to the building and office services delivery.
- Find innovative ways to streamline and enhance service delivery and improvements while keeping an eye on the bottom line. Develop key performance indicators to evaluate performance and results.
- Prepare and manage the annual budget and expenditures; review various budget reports for multiple buildings and premises. Lead the initiative for proper and timely forecasting, tracking, reporting and management of the quarterly and annual budget reviews.
- Lead a team of professionals who are responsible for facilities service delivery to the organization.
- Oversee management of services vendors, contractors, suppliers and external agencies as required; direct the performance of contract work and ensure minimum disruption to core business activities.
- Work closely with the Facilities and Procurement Teams to define scope for outsourced facilities services.
- Direct, plan, implement and evaluate regular building related processes and practices for quality assurance on a periodic basis (building inspections, systems tests etc).
- Oversee the administration management of the buildings and office services program (security, parking, front desk services, general office services, waste, etc).
- Responsible for compliance of all lease contractual obligations and building procedures, in adherence to building and city bylaws, codes and regulations.
- Oversee the planning of allocation and utilization of space and resources for existing and new buildings and offices, or re-organizing current premises.
- Participate in the the Office Standards Committee.
- Participate in the Occupational Health and Safety Committee and other standing and ad-hoc Committees as required.
- Generate and present relevant management reports and presentations for Executive reporting.
- Perform managerial on-call / call-out duty to respond to emergencies in accordance to established company policies.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher level education in Business Administration, Engineering, Real Estate or related field. Facility Management certification is an asset.
- 10 to 15 years’ experience with an emphasis of facilities management, building services / maintenance or equivalent office management experience within a pharmaceutical / healthcare or manufacturing environment; global experience is preferred.
- Minimum 5-7 years of experience leading, developing and coaching a facilities/operations team across geographic locations and varying experience levels.
- Experience in leading strategic change initiatives and scaling this work on a broader level (e.g. building and office services implementations, space utilization analytics, resource planning etc).
- Well-versed in technical operations and facilities management industry best practices.
- Proven ability to forecast, prepare and manage budgets. Cost conscious and motivated to continuously reduce inefficiency.
- Experience managing people, projects, and programs; change management experience is preferred to serve as a change agent.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze and interpret complex regulations to determine impact on company operations, directives and procedures and to develop action plans to optimize compliance.
- Demonstrated knowledge of leases, contracts, applicable building and city by-laws, codes and regulations.
- Effective at influencing all levels of the organization and building meaningful partnerships across a matrix organization.
- Proven ability to negotiate with external service providers.
- Ability to navigate ambiguity in a rapidly changing environment. Confident, results-oriented.
- Required to travel up to 10-15% of the time.
STEMCELL Technologies Inc. is a privately-owned biotechnology company based in Vancouver that helps power leading-edge life science research around the world. Scientists performing stem cell, immunology, cancer, regenerative medicine and cellular therapy research are among those who rely on our cell culture media, cell separation products, instruments, ancillary reagents and contract assay services. We create novel, useful, standardized products of unfailing quality and deliver them to more than 70 countries via our many regional offices plus distribution centres in Vancouver, Seattle, Grenoble and Singapore. Driven by our love of science and our passion for quality, we see ourselves simply as “Scientists Helping Scientists” – standing by our customers to provide outstanding products, technical support and training. We have over 1000 science-oriented employees globally, including 250 PhDs/MScs, with most others holding a BSc or engineering degree. STEMCELL is proud to be the largest Biotechnology employer in Canada.
This is an opportunity to work with highly motivated colleagues in a science-oriented, creative and dynamic environment. We offer a competitive salary, excellent benefits and significant career development opportunities. If you are interested in this challenging and rewarding position, please use ‘apply now’ to apply on our careers site.Soumettre une demande maintenant