Applications for the the 2017-2019 Science Horizons Youth Internship Program are no longer being accepted. Please continue to visit our website for program updates.
- Program description
- Are you eligible?
- Does your job qualify?
- How to apply
- Employer information page
- Download the information sheet
Get your foot in the door to start your career. Gain valuable work experience and skills needed to initiate a STEM career in the environmental sector.
The Science Horizons Youth Internship Program is a wage subsidy initiative to help recent graduates in science, technology, engineering, or mathematics (STEM) acquire work experience in STEM positions with environmental focus. The program provides up to a maximum of $15,000 in wage subsidies to help employers hire the talent they need and help recent STEM graduates gain skills to secure full-time employment in environmental STEM fields.
The Science Horizons Youth Internship Program helps recent STEM graduates:
- Gain valuable, real-world work experience and skills
- Develop career paths in environmental and sustainable fields
- Establish a network of professional contacts
- Approach potential employers with a subsidized wage offer in-hand once you are eligible
For many new graduates, landing a job without extensive work experience is a challenge. Yet without that first position, the necessary experience will never come. BioTalent Canada’s Science Horizons Youth Internship Program paves the way to employment by helping offset the costs of orientation, integration and skills development. The program funding provides up to $15,000 towards your salary as an incentive for employers to hire and train recent STEM graduates.
BioTalent Canada has a long track record of successful implementation of federal wage-subsidy programs, helping new talent gain employment in biotech and assisting companies in offsetting the costs of hiring.
Since 2013, BioTalent Canada has helped 168 biotechnology companies hire over 550 new graduates through Career Focus, another wage subsidy program geared toward new graduates.
In order to participate in the Science Horizons Youth Internship Program as a potential placement employee, you must:
- Be aged 30 or under (at the beginning of the internship);
- Be a recent college or university graduate in science, technology, engineering, or mathematics (STEM);
- Be legally entitled to work according to the relevant provincial and Canadian legislation and regulations;
- Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or Persons who have been granted refugee status in Canada; and,
- Not be in receipt of Employment Insurance (EI) during your internship.
In addition, as a participant to the program you are required to provide a report upon completion of your internship.
The Science Horizons Youth Internship Program funds employment opportunities that help recent STEM graduates acquire work experience in STEM positions with environmental focus. To qualify the job needs be a STEM position that supports the environmental mandate of the employer.
For more details, please refer to the following sections on the Employer Information page: “Is your company eligible?”
- Ensure you meet the participant eligibility criteria stated above;
- Be sure to fill out and submit Participant Application Checklist to your employer;
- If you do not already have a position, you can search for available positions/employers on BioTalent Canada's job board, The PetriDish™; If you do not yet have an account on The PetriDish™, you will need to create one before applying for a job.
BioTalent Canada assumes no legal responsibility towards applicants or companies seeking subsidies. For further information, please contact Mary at 1-866-243-2472, ext. 222 or firstname.lastname@example.org or Colleen at ext. 221 or email@example.com.
This project was undertaken with the financial support of:
Disclaimer: The views expressed herein are solely those of BioTalent Canada.
You may also want to: