Job Title: Senior Manager, Data and Knowledge Management
Reports to: Director, Data and Knowledge Management and Heart Program
Department: Mission – National
Status: Permanent / Full time
The Heart and Stroke Foundation
Life. We don’t want you to miss it.TM
That’s why Heart & Stroke leads the fight against heart disease and stroke. Powered by donors and volunteers, we fund life-saving research and help Canadians lead healthier lives.
Heart & Stroke is a health charity active in communities across the country. We are sustained by the commitment and generosity of more than 100,000 volunteers and more than 1.4 million donors.
We are looking for solution oriented and passionate candidate to take on the Senior Manager, Data and Knowledge Management role. This position is responsible for building and managing a small team of staff to implement a new data and knowledge (D&K) strategy, governance, and management framework within the Mission portfolio at Heart and Stroke. The role is responsible for initiation, planning, execution, monitoring and control of mission-related data and knowledge (D&K) management within the Foundation. The role will require considerable experience and independent judgment to collaborate with internal and external key stakeholders and establish systematic and iteratively process to extract, cleanse, sample, test, validate and communicate D&K-drive insights from complex and multiple sources to support our business needs. The role is instrumental for driving large-scale, cross-functional D&K-driven initiatives and is an integral part of the transformation within Heart & Stroke.
Designs and implements a controlled data and knowledge management framework and infrastructure, aligned to our strategy
- Builds and manages a team to implement data and knowledge management framework and infrastructure.
- Establishes initial understanding of D&K needs in support of Heart & Stroke’s operations and continuously responds to emerging needs.
- Contributes to D&K strategy planning, develops and implements the policies, procedures, processes, and systems required for maintaining and developing the overall D&K strategy and goals.
- Writes and executes data management procedures and policies to support best practice.
- Works closely with IT and digital team to drive the design, development, and maintenance of data storing, sharing and reporting tools.
- Documents D&K implementation plan, report progress, issues and risks in a timely manner.
- Works closely with IT and digital team to align data architecture, analytics, and visualization with business, IT and digital strategy.
- Leverages technology to drive cost-efficient, accessible, and flexible solutions around D&K management.
Control and monitoring of data and knowledge quality
- Formulates techniques for collection and validation to ensure adequacy, accuracy and legitimacy of D&K while aligning to the needs of Heart & Stroke
- Reviews, validates, and updates (as applicable) existing in-house D&K repository to ensure relevancy and accuracy
- Supports others in the daily use of D&K systems and ensures adherence to D&K risk and compliance policies
- Monitors D&K processes and systems, and evaluates their performance to determine ways of enhancing overall efficiency and accessibility (e.g. new digital technologies, end-user training)
- Troubleshoots D&K-related issues and works closely with IT and digital team to resolve issues in a timely manner
- Ensures digital D&K repository and archives are protected from security breaches and data losses
- Participates and supports in audits by externals (e.g., Canadian Information of Health Information)
- Manages overall data gathering from various information sources and data sharing tools (e.g., SharePoint, Google Analytics) and provides periodic status reports on performance and issues.
Manage and ensure efficient flow of heart and stroke-related data and knowledge within the Foundation
- Ensures various projects/programs/initiatives that require D&K services are aligned, plans and coordinates requests to ensure timeline response
- Manages D&K requests within the Foundation and triages to the appropriate member(s) in the D&K management team for generation of response to requests in a timely manner
- Ensures consistent applications, presentations and interpretations of D&K
- Responds to ad hoc data requests from internal stakeholders as applicable
- Establishes procedures, tools and process to facilitate data sharing and access within Mission, with cross-functional teams outside of Mission and with external stakeholders, as appropriate
- Makes credible/standard data and knowledge available within the Foundation, facilitating updates and ensuring a single set of defined metrics are accessible in ongoing fashion
- Ensures accurate and effective translation of knowledge from complex data to compiling and easy to understand materials for non-technical audience (e.g. donors, people with lived experience, caregivers, corporate partners)
- Establishes appropriate level of document control by defining the process for approval, review, change requests, revision control and providing access.
- Documents end-to-end process and observations for continuous improvement
Capacity building within the Foundation
- Be a leader of D&K management insights that help drive strategic and tactical business opportunity, and be an educator for D&K-driven, decision-making culture
- Provides training to others in the Foundation (when applicable) and promotes adoption of D&K best practice, standards, and related digital technologies
- Develops training materials and user-guides for D&K-related digital technologies
- Lead talent development, ensuring high standards, competence and that staff is well supported in fulfilling their accountabilities, developing their skills and achieving their career potential.
- Providing clear direction on business goals and priorities; ensure optimal deployment of resources to achieve business goals.
- Build and develop cohesive lateral relationships cross functionally.
- Establish performance plan and objectives and review on an ongoing basis; provide coaching and feedback as per the performance management process
- Scientific Writer
- Post-secondary university degree in Computer Science, Information Management, Statistics, and Data Science, Engineering or equivalent field is required. Master’s or Doctoral degree is preferred.
Experience and Skills
- Minimum 5+ years of experience in data management, data governance, or data engineering projects
- Minimum 5+ years of demonstrated success in data visualization, business Intelligence, data warehouse and data quality analysis in the public, private or non-profit sector
- Minimum 3-5 years of managerial experience (up to team of 6 staff)
- Demonstrated success in designing, developing and implementing data strategy and data management framework from ground up
- Demonstrated ability to manipulate and analyze large data sets using Microsoft Excel, including pivot tables, lookups, and macros
- Experience with reporting packages (e.g., Google Analytics, Tableau, Power BI, JMP), statistical programming (e.g., SAS, R) and query databases (e.g., Access, SQL)
- Demonstrated experience in writing, implementing and reinforcing data management compliance policies and procedures
- Demonstrated experience in handling external auditors.
- Team oriented, collaborative, diplomatic, and flexible, with excellent presentation skills, including strong oral and writing capabilities
- A doer; someone who is not averse to rolling up his/her sleeves and becoming involved in the details of the work
- Experience managing projects, budgets and schedules to successful completion. Knowledge of Agile and lean working environment is asset.
- Strong problem solving, analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Ability to apply good judgement and demonstrate initiative to communicate issues and to provide realistic solutions.
- Strong knowledge of business processes, data or information management, data flows and data quality standards. Analytical ability to work with data and present results to non-technical audience.
- Proficient in MS office (e.g., Excel, Access, Power Point, Word). Advanced Excel skill is preferred.
- Proficient in cloud-based technologies (e.g., SharePoint, Dashboard).
- Data analytics experience in healthcare field or knowledge in heart disease and stroke is preferred.
- Proficiency in English is essential and French language proficiency is an asset.
If you have the qualifications and share our passion for our mission, we invite you to forward your resume, cover letter and salary expectations to HSFC.Recruitment@heartandstroke.ca We offer comprehensive benefits including pension, dental and medical coverage.
This posting will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
Please include the exact job title, including location, in the subject line of your email.
We thank all applicants for their interest however, due to volume, we can only contact those selected for interviews.
Candidates from diverse groups are encouraged to apply. We are committed to fostering an inclusive, barrier-free and accessible environment. If you have been contacted for an interview and require an accommodation due to disability to participate in the recruitment and selection process, please advise and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Learn more and get involved with Heart and Stroke at www.heartandstroke.ca
™Life. We don’t want you to miss it., Saving moments. Funding breakthroughs. Saving lives., and the heart and / Icon on its own or followed by another icon or words in English are trademarks of the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada.