Molecular Biologist, Cornwallis, Nova Scotia
Acadian Seaplants is currently seeking a detail-oriented and knowledgeable Molecular Biologist for our Acadian Plant Health™ Division. This position will be based at our Dr. James S. Craigie Research Center in Cornwallis, Nova Scotia. This is a challenging yet rewarding role for a Molecular Biologist who would like to make their contribution to an organization that is a world leader in providing value-added marine plant-based products in the food and agricultural markets in over 80 countries worldwide.
As an ideal candidate for this role, you have a Ph.D in Molecular Biology, Plant Science or Microbiology. A M.Sc in Molecular Biology with proven experience may be considered. To be successful, you must have proven experience in current molecular techniques such as: Next Generation Sequencing, Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) and Quantitative Polymerase Chain Reaction (qPCR), Gel Electrophoresis, Blotting and Microarrays. You have also experience in laboratory microbiology techniques associated with bacteria and fungi such as: isolation and selection of microbes from soil and plant tissue samples, growth, identification, extraction and purification of microbial DNA and RNA for molecular analysis.
The Key Technical Responsibilities:
Reporting to the VP, Research & Development, the Molecular Biologist supports the understanding of the mode of action of both existing plant biostimulant products, new biostimulant and biocontrol products in plant response and in interaction with soil microbes, from genomic to phenomic.
Ultimately, the Molecular Biologist is in charge of the overall management of the molecular biology lab.
More Specifically, the Molecular Biologist:
- Writes, designs and executes all molecular studies using updated molecular techniques, such as, but not limited to, DNA and RNA extraction from samples for genes investigation, PCR, qPCR assays, library preparation for NGS, quality assurance of DNA and sequencing libraries, and gel electrophoresis.
- Orients research topics in the molecular studies to keep the team at the forefront of the Molecular Biology Science.
- Troubleshoots in-house research experiments and optimizes molecular biology protocols accordingly by implementing new molecular biology techniques.
- Builds primers for commercial crop species (soybean, corn, tomato, rice, cotton, etc.)
- Performs gene expression experiments with plant material.
- Uses sterile techniques and maintains sanitary conditions in all areas where research is conducted.
- Drafts the molecular biology sections in collaborative research proposals for funding applications with academic and/or industry partners.
- Reports monthly on all ongoing projects for the molecular sections, participates in R&D meetings upon request and communicates on a daily base with other R&D managers.
- Uses molecular techniques associated with microbes for identification in soil and plant samples.
- Grows and cultures both bacteria and fungi for strain collection.
- Supervises internships/students.
- Supports the company’s vision and policies regarding Health & Safety, Corporate Culture, and Environmental Management by displaying the appropriate behaviors and leadership towards meeting the company’s objectives in these areas.
- Ph.D in Molecular Biology, Plant Science, or Microbiology, or M.Sc in Molecular Biology with proven experience is required.
- Experience in plant physiology, microbiology and biochemistry techniques would be a strong asset.
- Strong laboratory skills, especially in aseptic technique.
- Sound technical, organizational and communication skills are required. Self-motivation, independent thinking and the ability to accept additional responsibilities are important.
- Strong reporting and presentation skills are required.
- Demonstrated experience in developing testable hypotheses and experimental troubleshooting.
- Experience in handling biological safety level (BSL) 2+ microorganisms and knowledge regarding biosafety and biosecurity.
- Computer skills including data entry, statistical analysis, word processing, spreadsheets and presentations are required.
- Must be flexible, adaptable and able to lead teams as well as work with others and as a member of a team.
If this job sounds like it was made for you, we’d like to meet you. To further explore this opportunity, just submit your application to firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.
About Acadian Seaplants
Established in 1981, Acadian Seaplants has been sustainably harvesting and developing marine-derived products that benefit people, animals and plants in over 80 countries across the world. We operate six production facilities in Atlantic Canada and Europe as well as boast our very own research facility that enables us to continuously innovate and discover new applications for our sustained and renewable resource.
Acadian Seaplants is a multi-cultural, multi-lingual and multi-national company with firm roots in Nova Scotia. We’re a team of smart, motivated, high achievers who believe in our brand, our products and what they can offer. From production, to engineers, to PhD’s to accountants, we are a vertically-integrated, diverse organization that finds a sense of pride from doing the work we love; which is easy to tell from our long-standing track record of achievements.
We truly believe we can create a sustainable world by advancing the science of seaweed.