Education & Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 10 years of progressive experience in the Tax function or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Professional designation of CPA (CA, CMA or CGA) and minimum Level II of the In-Depth Tax Course.
- Biotechnology or pharmaceutical industry experience is an asset.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Works with senior management to develop and implement tax programs, strategies and processes.
- Leads compliance activities globally through effective working relationships within Finance, across the organization, and with external service providers.
- Manages tax accounting and reporting, including reviewing the worldwide tax provision, valuation allowance, and deferred tax account reconciliations.
- Oversees and coordinates the process for and preparation of the organization’s Canadian Scientific Research and Development program returns including timely filing and follow-up.
- Develops and monitors transfer-pricing policies and agreements, ensuring proper documentation to meet compliance requirements.
- Leads and ensures the compliance of all global statutory tax requirements, including overseeing the preparation and/or reviewing all local and foreign tax returns.
- Oversees and reviews sales and local tax reporting, including PST/GST/HST, VAT and other non-income tax issues.
- Leads activities associated with the annual assessment of Passive Foreign Investment Corporation determinations and assists Investor Relations and Finance with external communication.
- Assists in the preparation of additional disclosures for quarterly and annual financial reporting, as well as coordinating with external advisors and internal legal resources on registration statements as required.
- Responsible for the tax evaluation and reporting of exposures and risk management across the organization, including the ability to identify and implement highly efficient solutions.
- Institutes and continuously improves operating procedures ensuring “best practices”.
- Continually monitors, tracks and reports out on the existing and proposed tax legislations and related changes that could impact our operations.
- Ensures compliance with internal controls (including SOX), policies and procedures.