The Career Focus Program has now officially ended.
After successfully placing over 800 new graduates in their first biotech job since 2005, BioTalent Canada’s Career Focus Wage Subsidy Program is now closed. BioTalent Canada is pleased to have partnered with the Government of Canada to help bio-economy employers hire the talent they need and for recent graduates to gain the work experience they require.
Get your foot in the door, get that all-important first job. Gain valuable, real-world work experience and skills needed to launch your bio-economy career.
- Gain valuable, real-world work experience and skills
- Establish a network of bio-economy contacts
- Develop personally and as a bio-economy professional
- Approach potential employers with a subsidized wage offer in-hand once you are eligible
“The Career Focus Program has helped me to gain a great deal of knowledge and valuable career skills that I would not have otherwise been introduced to without the program.” – Ashley Singh, former Career Focus Program participant.
Discover other reactions from participants and employers in this article.
For more success stories visit our Success Stories.
For many new graduates, landing a job without extensive work experience is a challenge. Yet without that first biotechnology position, the necessary experience will never come. BioTalent Canada’s Career Focus Program paves the way to employment by helping offset the costs of orientation, integration and skills development. The Career Focus Program funding provides up to $20,000 towards your salary as an incentive for employers to hire and train recent graduates.
Not only does the program help young workers develop their skills and abilities in general, but it also forges strong connections between them and the companies that take them on. Nearly every Career Focus participant who completed the program is kept on – hired long term.
Since 2005, BioTalent Canada has helped over 400 new grads find a job in the bio-economy through Career Focus. For the 2016-17 program, we're expecting to place around 120 recent graduates. Make sure you're one of them!
Who is eligible?
In order to participate in the Career Focus Program as a potential placement employee, you must:
1. Be a graduate from a post-secondary institution within the last three years;
2. Be between the ages of 15-30, inclusively;
3. Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or hold refugee status;
4. Be legally entitled to work according to the relevant provincial legislation;
5. Not be in receipt of Employment Insurance at the start of your placement; and
6. Have an offer for potential employment.
Participant Information Forms (PIFs) will be provided by the employer. If you have any questions or require further information, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. BioTalent Canada assumes no legal responsibility towards applicants or companies seeking subsidies.
- Ensure you meet the participant eligibility criteria stated above.
- Be sure to fill out and submit participant application package to your employer.
- If you do not already have a position, you can search for available positions/employers on BioTalent Canada's job board, The PetriDishTM ; If you do not yet have an account on The PetriDishTM , you will need to create one before applying for the program.
BioTalent Canada assumes no legal responsibility towards applicants or companies seeking subsidies. For further information, please contact us at email@example.com.
Funded in part by the Government of Canada's Youth Career Focus Program.
You may also like to:
- Check out the employer requirements at www.biotalent.ca/wagesubsidies.
- Get your skills recognized through the BioSkills Recognition Program
- Check out the Bio-economy Skills Profiles to see what skills are required for a variety of positions
- Start a job search on The PetriDishTM,Canada’s #1 bio-economy job board.